Saturday, January 29, 2011

Adventures in Baking: Stawberry Shortcake Cake

Remember how I promised to share my failures along with my successes. Well this post is a the perfect example of that. The ultimate outcome was eventually a success but my adventures in baking to get to the end product of a delicious Strawberry Shortcake Cake can only be described as including a failure in baking.
...
I love surfing the Internet for new and exciting recipes to try and THE PIONEER WOMAN is a favorite blog of mine to frequent. So one day I was on the hunt for new and exciting ways to use strawberries in a yummy dessert for my husband who absolutely loves strawberries. In my searches I came across this YUMMY RECIPE on The Pioneer Woman Cooks site for a Strawberry Shortcake Cake.
...
...
So here is the story of my adventures in baking a Strawberry Shortcake Cake. The recipe calls for a scrumptious looking made from scratch cake for me that part of the recipe was an epic fail (see I told you there was a failure in this story). Now I did followed the recipe word for word but with no luck which probably was a result of needing more flour because of the high altitude of my little mountain town. And of course I forgot to document my failure in pictures ... my apologies it would have been good for a laugh I'm sure.
...
After a failed attempt at making the cake from scratch it was off to the store for a box of white cake mix and this time I had perfect success! I have to give credit where credit is due, Betty Crocker really knows what she's doing. When the cake came out of the oven I didn't even need to shave the top of the cakes down to make them flat they came out of the oven perfectly flat lucky me. From there the rest of the cake was, well, a piece of cake. The strawberry mixture was super easy to make (for the steps go here) and this recipe has the yummiest cream cheese icing (found here) I have ever had. Overall, the cake was met with great success ... the Husband says it's a new favorite.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment